Thursday, June 18, 2009

Memorial Service

We are here today to honor Lucy Batchelor, the matriarch of my family, a strong and courageous woman, a fun and adventurous spirit, a friend to her comrades at Sunshine Center and Silver Sneakers, and a faithful member of her congregation.

Thank you for coming. I know many of you feel a special love and affection for my mom. Joe and I want to give you this space in time to voice your gratitude, share your memories, and process some of your sadness.

This chapel has been a sanctuary for many, and it was my safe haven while caring for my mother and observing, for the first time, the process of dying.
I invite you to relax into silence, absorb the love in this room, collect your thoughts and memories, and feel Lucy in your heart.

After the music and prayer you are welcome to express your gratitude for your friend. May we all benefit from sharing our love for Lucy.
Kathy


“The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistorical acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.” George Eliot - Middlemarch

No comments:

Post a Comment